Saturday 12 January 2019

Wearing Neon Face Paint Was Cool Again

The Best 'New Rave' Album.

Atlantis To Interzone

Klaxons / Myths Of The Near Future


'New Rave' was an sub genre of Rock music that emerged in the UK from the years 2005 - 2008. Essentially it sounds like a mix of scattery-crushy guitars, fuzzy bass, siren like synths and a hectic punk attitude. The band Klaxons were certainly the victors of this movement. Though they didn't care from the term 'New Rave'.

This album was certainly a break from the norm. In a time when UK indie rock was just about to fall into genericizm, it was a sign that there was still going to be bands that will try new things and dare to be different. The Klaxons, 'Myths of the near future' won the 2007 Mercury Music prize. In the UK we basically have two major music award shows, one being 'the Brits' and the other being 'The Mercury Music Prize', just so you know the latter is considered the more 'sophisticated' and 'professional' award. Kinda like: 'the Oscar is better than a Golden Globe' deal. The other nominees that year included The Arctic Monkeys' second album 'Favorite Worst Nightmare' and Amy Winehouse's 'Black To Black'.

Let's take a quick look at the Singles real quick.

1) Gravity's Rainbow - Yeh so the vocals across the whole album are like this. It's like two voices an octave apart with the top voice a little more airy sounding. The bass has that fuzz on it, Drumkit is a bit reverby and the guitar is playing some real janky jaggedy zig zag type riffs.


2) Atlantis To Interzone - The 'D.J.!' sound right at the beginning is a sample from an old Yamaha keyboard around at the time. I remember we had a bunch of them at school. My teacher hated the 'D.J.' mode, it was just a bunch random cheesy samples and sounds, I don't think it even had decent drum sounds. 


3) Golden Skans - This is the one you've most likely have heard. I really like these next two videos, this distant future symbolic mythology style is really interesting to me.


4) It's Not Over Yet - I remember hating this when I first heard it. That grating synth was abit much and it would make my T.V. start vibrating. However now I admire the tenacity, using such a grating synth in that way.


Anyway Klaxons when down a route with their following releases that was a lot more bland after this anomaly. It's a shame because I feel like they really captured something interesting with this album. This music creates an interesting mood of loud obnoxious rave music and dark mystic babbling about the future. It comes across dark and mysterious yet full of energy and playfulness.

It's one of my favorite albums ever and I'm putting it on the list of 'Vinyl records I will one day buy if I ever heave disposable income or feeling like I should treat myself, even though It's probably a bad idea'.



No comments:

Post a Comment

IS ROCK DEAD?